Monday, March 8, 2010

I know, this post is waaay later then it should be, but I had no internet connection at the hotel I was staying at Les Arcs 1950!! And it's been a whirlwind week so far too!!

So, I'll start from the beginning then. At 6:05 AM, February 24, I said goodbye to my family and Meagan at the Penticton airport and flew to Vancouver, then to Toronto, then to Paris. A lot of tears were shed at the airport, some more on the plane, but otherwise the flights and all the connections were fine. When I arrived, Veronique and Gregoire, who is seven, picked me up. From there we took a bus to Paris, got on a train, then a short drive to my new home for five months!! It is really lovely, we're quite in the country, but still really close to the town, and only 25 minutes by train to the heart of Paris!! So it's the best of both worlds I think! Everything is so green here, and the road that leads to the house is lined with Cherry trees that will be all in bloom in just a short while!! We have a big beautiful yard with a lovely patio, and the back yard joins with the forest right behind us!! It is soo lovely!! And my room on the second floor has a nice big window which opens up and looks right onto the quaint little street I am on!! It's so pretty!!!

The house is really nice, so I was there for only a day and a half, and then the next evening Veronique, Fabrice (the dad), Gregoire, Thomas (who's four), Mammie Annie (the grandma), Octavie (the cousin, she is also seven), and me, all piled into there van, and drove for eight hours (we stopped overnight) to Les Arcs 1950 in the French Alps!! It was soooo amazing!!! Everything was incredible there, the mountains, the skiing, the village, the lifts, the VIEWS!!!! So incredible!!! It was a great week full of awesome skiing, good food, and taking notes on the family! haha I'm so thankful that they invited me on their trip and I had a week to settle in and get to know them because otherwise if they hadn't of invited me, I would've just got here yesterday (!!!!) and most likey would have started working!!! Man oh man that would not have been nice!!!

Well, as I just said, today is my first day working, and today I have to pick up the boys from school at four thirty, take them home, play with them, give them a bath, make their supper then play with them some more until Veronique comes home around quarter after seven! I haven't even started working yet, but today was already an eventful day!! Veronique always takes the boys to school but I went with her this morning just so she could introduce me to the kids teachers so they know who I am when I pick them up. So then Veronique usally takes the bus to the train Station, then the train to Paris for work. But she was running a little late today, so she suggested I go with her to the station then I can drive back. Sure, that's fine I said, I was already fairly familar with how to get there. So we arrive at the station, I say good bye, then I get in the car and start driving. Well, I take a right turn instead of a left turn, and I start heading in the wrong direction!! I start driving to god know's where, passing round-a-bouts, and tiny little streets, all while getting a little scared, and realizing I'm completely friggen lost!!!! I've been driving for a little while now, hoping I will some how find my way back, when I get on to a fairly large road that I realize could be heading to Paris for all I know!! So I pull over, hazard lights go on, pull out the GPS, and start finding my way back again. So I start driving back, but not without some incidents!! At one intersection I stall a couple times and the line of cars keeps getting bigger and bigger until they finally all pass me...I heard a couple of honks, some yelling, but I just ignored them all. French drivers are sooo incredibly impatient and crazy!!! I eventually get going, and after a little while longer find my way back to the main road!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy and relieved, knowing now that I knew where to go!! I finally made it back to the house, and all this took about an hour, when it shoul've taken no more then 10 minutes!!! I was really shaken when I got back, but it kind of made me feel a bit empowered knowing that I safely made my way back, navigating these tiny streets, ignoring the crazy french driver, all while driving standard!!!

Well I think that is it for now, will probably update the blog tomorrow about other things that I have experienced so far like the language, the food, etc, etc, etc,!!

I think I will go to the town center now and buy some baguettes! (yes, being serious here!!)

Bisous, (kisses)

Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. Photos photos photos! Kaya wants photos! Not that she puts any on HER blog anymore, or even on Facebook most of the time, but she is hypocritical and demands them of you! :D

    And driving! My god. I'd be terrified to drive. My little sleepy town roads scare me; they are so narrow, and I swear German drivers are telepathic because they share almost perfectly, with one pulling to the curb where ever there is a gap between cars to let someone by, and then they exchange happy little polite waves. (And I sit there in the passenger seat thinking it's probably a really good thing that I'm not allowed to drive. Honking hurts my feelings and I am sure I would get honked at a lot until I got used to things. :p )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to hear from you!!!! I'm so happy the first week went pretty smoothly up in the alps, and guess what? I went to Les Arcs 1950 when I was in France as well! I know exactly what you're talking about!
    And I definitely know what you mean about French drivers! They're super impatient and make crazy driving decisions!
    Wow if I got lost while having to drive standard, I would have totally freaked and cried! Haha! You should be super proud of yourself for your great problem-solving! I can't wait to hear more, babe!
    Miss you sooo much! I can't believe we barely talked before you left! Doesn't matter, if you ever need someone to talk to during your stay, please FB me and we'll talk :) I know how tough it can be to be in France sometimes...But I know you'll do great and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey!
    It's good to hear that you are doing well! And whirlwind weeks are the best kinds of weeks so we don't blame you for not updating sooner. :)

    Want to send a baguette over to Victoria?
    Just kidding.
    Maybe not.
    You+me+skype+buttercroissant=soon?
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete